The things that always get in the way when I’m writing:
- Naming shit. OMG. I always want clever names that mean something, that would somehow reveal some hidden depth to a character if you catch the reference. This delays my writing immensely, as you might imagine.
- Research. Just what is the muzzle velocity of this particular Civil War era pistol. Why is it relevant you ask? Well it’s not, I suppose. Maybe that particular detail could be flubbed. But wouldn’t it be great if I had it right? Let’s just check Wikipedia one more time.
- Another idea. How many short stories are in progress in my Documents folder? A lot. How many are likely to be finished? A much smaller number than I am comfortable admitting.
- Where did all the chocolate go? Shit, I need to get to the store.
- Writing this blog. Of course.